Pet Parrot Association
ARTICLE 1: DEFINITIONS
- The name of this organization shall be the Edmonton Pet
Parrot Association (also referred to as “EPPA”).
- The EPPA is a club of parrot enthusiasts.
- The EPPA is a service organization devoted to enhancing
the welfare and quality of life of the parrot through education.
- The EPPA shall work in co-operation with other
organizations whose aims and objectives correspond with those of the EPPA.
ARTICLE 2: MISSION STATEMENT
- Educate the public about parrots.
- Provide parrot-related information as appropriate
- Maintain a current mailing list and web page.
- Produce a regular newsletter and publish it on the EPPA
- Attend and distribute information at pet fairs and
- Be available for educational seminars to schools, groups,
- Keep a library of parrot publications.
- Sponsor and run promotions and shows.
- At least one “Parrots of the World” show per year.
- At least three EPPA promotions per year.
- Provide an educational and social environment for parrot
enthusiasts to exchange information about parrot ownership.
- Provide at least 8 informational meetings per year.
- Provide at least 2 social events per year (not including
shows or promotions).
- Publish regular newsletters.
- Provide at least 1 toy workshop per year.
- Conduct fundraising activities.
ARTICLE 3: MEMBERSHIP
- Membership in the EPPA is open to any individual or
organization that agrees to comply with the objectives, bylaws,
procedures, and policies of the EPPA.
- The Executive has the right to refuse any membership,
or to expel an existing member, for reasonable cause. Anyone refused or
expelled will receive written explanation of the reason(s) including a return
address. The judgment may be appealed in writing to the Executive within
10 days, otherwise it is final. If the judgment is appealed, the individual(s)/organization(s)
will meet with the Executive to plead their case. The Executive’s decision
- Membership Fees
- Membership fee rates shall be determined by the Executive.
- Membership is annual; it’s based on a 12-month interval
beginning September 1st of each year.
- All applicants shall apply on the EPPA’s membership form,
and shall pay the required fee.
- Membership fees paid are non-refundable.
- Honorary membership may be nominated by the membership
- Members shall be informed in advance of the meeting that
their membership renewal is due by e-mail and newsletter
- If a member is in arrears for fees for any year, after a
30-day grace period, the member shall thereafter not be entitled to
membership privileges or powers until such fees are paid in full.
- Members have the following rights:
- To receive an annual EPPA membership card bearing their
name and membership expiry date.
- To receive discounts at designated businesses.
- To attend and participate in all member meetings, and
special EPPA events.
- To provide one vote per paid membership on issues
presented to the members for a vote.
- To join in a petition to remove an Executive or one
assuming Other Responsibilities
- To request to hold a position as an Executive or assume
- To provide input regarding the operations of the EPPA or
its current projects.
- To be included in all EPPA membership mailings
- Members have the following duties and responsibilities:
- To comply with the objectives, bylaws, procedures, and
policies of the EPPA.
- If an owner, to provide and maintain a healthy, safe, and
caring environment for their parrots.
- To conduct oneself, and one’s family, in a courteous and
dignified manner whenever representing the EPPA, or while attending any
- To maintain a current membership by paying dues on or
before the renewal date of membership.
ARTICLE 4: EXECUTIVE
- The Executive of the EPPA shall consist of the President,
Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
- The elected Executive shall serve for 2 consecutive years
with the option of re-election at the end of their term.
- An EPPA member must be at least 18 years old before being
eligible to run for election to the Executive.
- The affairs of the EPPA shall be managed by the Executive,
subject to the bylaws or directions given it by a majority vote at any
- If a member of the Executive does not attend 3 consecutive
member meetings or 3 consecutive Executive meetings, that Executive member
shall be deemed to have resigned and the position vacant
- Any vacancy occurring during the term of any Executive
member shall be filled as soon as possible through nomination and vote at
a member meeting.
- Signing authority for an EPPA cheque shall be two executive
- The Executive positions entail:
When present, presides at all meetings of the EPPA and Executive
In the absence of the President shall carry out the duties of the
In the event that the President can no longer discharge the duties of
the office, and no interim President is elected, the Vice-President shall take
over as the acting President for the remainder of the term.
Provides e-mail communications to membership
Makes appropriate filing based on the audited annual report to the
Registry offices and Government as per their requirements
Attends all meetings of the EPPA and the Executive, and keeps accurate
records of these meetings
Is in charge of all correspondence of the EPPA
Receives all monies paid to the EPPA, and is responsible for its deposit
to whichever financial institution is deemed satisfactory by the Executive
Properly accounts for the funds of the EPPA, and keeps such books as
Presents a detailed account of receipts and disbursements to the Executive
on a monthly basis
Provides a written and audited annual report to the Executive 30 days
after the fiscal year end. This report shall include all transactions and
deposits in the EPPA account(s)
ARTICLE 5: OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES
activities that support the functioning of the EPPA are required such as:
- produce articles, papers, and promotional brochures for the membership and,
where appropriate, for the public
- produce the “Parrots Of the World” show, promote the EPPA through a variety
of public events, educational seminars, and the distribution of informational
brochures, and organize EPPA social events
Letter – produce a regular EPPA newsletter, for the purpose of stimulating
interest and improving attendance, announcing the program of the future
meeting(s), relating highlights of the previous meeting, promoting fellowship,
contributing to the education of the members, and reporting news of the EPPA, its
members and affiliates.
Site - maintain the EPPA web site
- maintain the EPPA library
Fund Raising – propose fund raising activities, and spearhead those fund
raising activities approved by the Executive
interested in taking on these duties may volunteer for these duties, or be
elected or assigned to them (as deemed appropriate by the Executive).
taking on these duties shall report to the Executive.
ARTICLE 6: MEETINGS AND EVENTS
- Member Meetings
- Shall provide at least 8 meetings per year
- Shall follow an agenda as set out by the President
- Any individual or organization wishing to present
information at a meeting shall require Executive approval
- At the February meeting there shall be elections for any
Executive positions whose terms have expired
- Twenty members, or 50% of current members in good
standing, whichever is available, shall constitute a quorum.
- Executive Meetings
- Shall be held prior to each member meeting or no less
than 8 times per year.
- A meeting shall be called by the President.
- A meeting shall be called by the President upon the
instruction from two members of the Executive provided they request the
President in writing to call such a meeting, and state the business to be
brought before the meeting.
- Shall follow an agenda as set out by the President.
- Meetings shall be called with 10 days notice in writing
to call such a meeting, or by 3 days notice by phone, fax, or e-mail.
- Any three members of the Executive shall constitute a
quorum. A meeting may be held without notice if a quorum is present,
provided that any business transactions or decisions at such a meeting be
ratified at the next regularly called meeting; otherwise the transactions
and decisions shall be null and void.
- Voting shall be by simple majority. If a tie exists, the
President has the option of casting a second vote or taking the vote to
- Social Events
- Shall be held no less than 2 times per year (not
including promotions, fundraisers, or shows).
- Shall be a non-business related activity, open to all
members in good standing, and when appropriate, their guests and/or the
- Each spring the EPPA will host a show called “Parrots of
- EPPA hosted shows are educational shows; the shows shall
not be judged, and no form of competition shall be entered into.
- No member or vender participating in a show shall sell
any living creature at the show.
- Pet Fairs and Expositions
- An effort shall be made to send representatives to such
ARTICLE 7: AUDITING
- The books, records, and accounts of the Secretary and Treasurer
shall be audited yearly by two members of the EPPA, one of which cannot
currently hold, or have held in the fiscal year being audited, a position
on the Executive.
- The fiscal year for the EPPA shall begin August 1st
of each year.
- The books and records may be inspected by any member of
the EPPA who is in good standing provided that reasonable notice is given,
and a satisfactory time is arranged with the Executive member having
charge of the same.
- All members of the Executive shall at all times have access
to the EPPA’s books and records.
ARTICLE 9: REVISION
- The bylaws may be rescinded, altered, or added to at any member
meeting, provided that proper notice to the membership be given, that a
quorum is present, and that at least two-thirds of the members present
vote in favor of the motion.
- No amendment or addition to these bylaws may be made that
is not in harmony with the EPPA’s mission statement.